Monday, November 19, 2012

What i'm looking forward to this Thanksgiving

This year we will be celebrating Thanksgiving in OUR own home. I have to admit this was not my idea but rather my husband being persistent. I made it very clear that I didn't feel like cooking an entire feast, so he is volunteering to make the Turkey. One thing we are looking forward to as host's is that we can do and cook whatever WE want to. We both aren't too fond of stuffing or that cranberry jelly stuff so guess what, we aren't making it. I really want to try making a homemade cranberry sauce, anybody have a good, simple recipe? Also, I was hoping I would get to make these Accordion Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic (because as I just mentioned, we can cook whatever we want) but my husband was like "what?! but I want mashed potatoes", what the heck! So I decided to make the accordion potatoes this weekend.
And although they were good, I agree that we should have mashed potatoes.
 
Besides the whole day of Thanksgiving, I'm looking forward to Black Friday (yes, call me crazy) But I have literally been putting together a list of items to buy "specifically" on this day, for our house, since February. Another thing I am really looking forward to is getting together at my parents house after Thanksgiving with my brother and nieces and nephews to decorate the Christmas Tree. A few years ago I decided to buy my parents a fake Christmas Tree because otherwise they just won't bother. So every year we have Marie Callender's Pumpkin Pie and decorate the tree with all the kids, I love it. Wish us luck on our first year of cooking for Thanksgiving! (I'm honestly a little worried)


Today I'm linking up with Kristin from Vignettes

13 comments:

  1. Good luck with your First Thanksgiving at your home =) I'm sure it will be fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun hosting this year! I am going to try my hand at making cranberry sauce this year. I've never made it before, but I plan on using this recipe: http://www.oceanspray.com/recipes/corporate/sauces,-sides---salads/fresh-cranberry-sauce.aspx

    It looks simple enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! and I will definitely be checking out that recipe.

      Delete
  3. We cooked our first Thanksgiving last year and it was really fun!! Takes a lot of energy all day but to sit and eat together making your own traditions is nice once in a while!! Our favorite cranberry sauce is a cranberry chutney - so good! You can find the recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cranberry-chutney-i/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That recipe looks good....with apples?! Babe might even like it too :)

      Delete
  4. Aw, this post is making me SO excited for Thanksgiving! I'm never good at being prepared enough to go for Black Friday shopping. Plus, I'm terribly impatient for lines. I'll just live vicariously through you on that day ;)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping on Black Friday is definitely something you have to prepare for, it's the only day I know I HAVE to have patience.

      Delete
  5. The accordian potato looks AWESOME. Need to try that myself but first where do I find such a long potato?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol.... it's a pretty normal size potato, just looks a little longer once you slice it.

      Delete
  6. Let me start by saying that this potato looks very very yummy! How exciting that you guys will be hosting Thanksgiving. What a blessing to spend a day decorating the tree with your family, I wish mine lived closer to us.
    Good luck on black friday, you are brave :)
    Abi K

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to host thanksgiving! I am sure all the food will be amazing:) you are brave to go out on Black Friday! I do have to admit that I would like to do it once just to experience it! That is such a sweet tradition to go and decorate your patents tree how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the dinner at your house, I am sure it will be amazing. I have never seen the accordion potato before, so I must give that a try! Ask Luisana about the Cranberry recipes ) www.thefitcook.net :)

    ReplyDelete