Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Greatest accomplishment of 2012

By far my greatest accomplishment this year was buying a house! For as long as I could remember I have wanted nothing more in my life than to own my own home. I imagined my house would be so pretty and big and modern and perfect. But finding an affordable house like that in Los Angeles is pretty much impossible unless you can afford to live in Beverly Hills or Malibu or where ever there are fancy houses like that. Last year (right before Thanksgiving actually) after putting in several offers on houses,  we received a call that one of our offers, from a month before,  had been accepted. We were excited and confused because a whole month had went by and we kind of forgot what the house looked like. I do remember that it had hardwood floors and a billion (ok 6!) windows in the living/dining area that brought in so much sunlight. We waited 2 months in escrow and on Jan. 25, 2012 we officially got the keys!
(Yeah, I totally whited out our address there above the mailbox)
The first thing my husband and brother did was completely renovate the main bathroom, from floor to ceiling.
And my husband built me my own closet! I was NOT about to share a tiny closet with him.
Owning a house is such a grown up responsibility. We have learned so much this year about home ownership and look forward to the years ahead of us that we will spend here. It isn't the big modern house I had always dreamed about but it's ours and it's perfect (well, close to perfect). We have so much that we still want to do to it to make it our own, but all in time.

Today I'm linking up with Merrick, Janssen and Landen for Sister's share it all.

9 comments:

  1. I love your house! Your bathroom update is amazing I love the colors you picked! Wow your husband did a great job on your closet and that desk is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love it and I love your updates!!!! Sooo beautiful. What a talented husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like what you did to the bathroom! my husband likes doing that sort of thing too. men are so handy :)

    happyleeliving.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bathroom! And your new closet is adorable! I love the vanity next to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your home is so cute Sara, you guys did a great job renovating those spaces. I love your closet, it looks like a cottage armoire, something I would love in my bedroom.
    We also bought this year, all those little hidden details of buying open my eyes to a whole new side of responsibilities. Congratulations, I can already see what a cozy home this will be :)
    Happy thanksgiving!
    Abi K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray! I'm excited to own a house again someday. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on being home owners! Such a big responsibility, but so awesome.

    Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! he built you your own closet? he should get 2 stamps on his man card for that one!!
    I have had so much fun hopping around your blog the last hour- (shhh...I am supposed to be working) buying a home (and in L.A.) is definitely a huge accomplishment and you should be very very proud. sorry you have a huge commute. I have about a 35 minutecommute *if traffic cooperates and that makes me crazy too.
    so nice to meet ya sarah! I will be back to visit you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kendra. Um... I'm so guilty of doing the same thing at work too....well, sometimes *wink :)

      Delete