Monday, October 22, 2012

DIY Shirt

I don't really know where to start with this post but I guess there are a few things that you should know.
  • I am a beginner sewer (sewer?! is that a word)
  • I don't know correct sewing terms, obviously (if there are any)
  • This is the 1st shirt/ over sized sweater I have made
  • I think I did a pretty darn good job!
I spotted this fabric back in August and HAD to have it. But at the time I had no idea what I wanted to do with it. Maybe something super simple like a scarf or some leg warmers or a small tote. But then I thought: A vest, with warm fuzzy's on the inside ... that idea quickly diminished, too complicated. Then one cold day last week I was going through my sweater drawer and came across this rectangular shaped shirt I had ... perfect for my fabric I had waiting to be turned into something great! (too dramatic?!)


1. fold fabric in half and cut excess. I ended up with a 35"x20" rectangle (still folded)
2. unfold fabric and cut in half. you should now have two 35"x20" rectangle's

3. Pin bottom hem and sew (I did a straight stitch)
4. cut the neck area about 10" wide and 2" at the widest part of the half cirlce. Pin and Sew.
5. place 2 pieces of fabric together (as if shirt is inside out), Pin and sew the shoulder(s). From here on I used a zig-zag stitch.

6. cut out 2 sleeve's (10"x8" each). fold in half so that you have a 10"x4" rectangle. match up the middle (open side) of the sleeve with the shoulder that you just sewed together and sew. repeat on the other side.
7. last ... sew up the sides.

What do you think?! Not too bad right. So there are actually a few things I would (and still might) change.
  • I would not have made it as wide. I actually decided I wanted it a little more narrower to begin with but when I cut the rectangle I actually gave myself more fabric "just in case" which was completely unnecessary.
  • I did a straight stitch on the neck and I feel like it's pulling, so I think I am going to redo it with a different stitch.
Let me know what you think and I would LOVE any suggestions that would make it better or easier!

7 comments:

  1. you did a great job Sarah, I'm also learning how to sew. Starting slowly with pillow cases :)
    thanks for following back.

    ABi K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A Pillow case is a good start, let me know how your sewing comes along :)

      Delete
  2. This looks great! You did a beautiful job!! I've only ever made one skirt before, but I've made a couple quilts which I loved doing =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Quilts take some talent ... and patience, which I don't have too much of :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it was just called a Knit fabric when I bought it. It's a very light weight sweater knit. I hope that helps!?

      Delete